Sunday, August 30, 2009

God-Given Glory

What is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him? For You have made him a little lower than the angels, and You have crowned him with glory and honor- Psalm 8:4-5.

The great value that God has given to human beings is perhaps most evident in the price He paid for our salvation... the blood of His son. "If God places such a high value on us, we should also place a high value on the people He has brought into our lives. Bring them before the Lord in prayer. Ask Him to show you how each is more priceless than the most costly jewel in the universe."

Lord, this morning I thank you for a brother who has always been there for me... through everything- good and bad, upsetting and wonderful, exciting and boring times. I thank you for my parents who have loved, supported and encouraged me and shown me what it means to love the Lord with heart, mind and soul. And I thank You, Father, for bringing Brad into my life... He is such a blessing in my life, and I ask that You continue to lead us. Thank You for the value You give to our lives... we are valuable because of the value that You have given to us... because we might live to honor You.

My heart is not proud, O LORD, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. -Psalm 131:1

Yesterday on our way down from Mt. Lemmon, Ke said that she had seen a hummingbird for the first time. This launched us into a full-fleged (hehe) discussion of the amazing bird. Jess said that even physics couldn't explain how the bird can hover. (Secretly this made me wish I had gone into physics just to be able to figure out how this works! I know there must be a way and someone will discover it someday.) But I remarked, "God is so cool!" To this, everyone mentioned how you can't believe in "God in the Gaps."

I've never actually heard of this theory or even thought of it before. Apparently, it's where you believe that anything that can't currently be explained is created by God. Now, this isn't exactly what I meant, because I know that someone someday will explain how the hummingbird hovers, and I remark that "God is cool" when seeing the camouflage of a horny toad or the magesty of a tree seemingly growing out of a rock or the sweet scent of butterscotch from a Ponderosa pine. All are perfectly explicable, but to me... it doesn't make God any less cool in those instances where there is an explanation. Even when I can read and learn about something, God is still too wonderful for me... because God still created it all that way.

No comments: