Monday, August 24, 2009

tell your story

A new year... I'm going to be doing something a little new, guided by "Our Daily Bread." (A reflection on the day's story, a short reflection on Old Testament, a short reflection on New Testament.

Tell Your Story

Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you. —Mark 5:19

This sounds all too familiar this morning, as I preached about just this topic last May at YAC (Young Adult Conference). And I have become more and more aware of the importance of our stories and telling our stories. We must become so incredibly excited with our experiences with knowing the Lord that we cannot help but talk about it. Like the young girl who is so enamored with her boyfriend that she brings him up at all cost... it's the most wonderful thing she can think of to talk about. God is the most wonderful thing I can think of.

In fact, RBC notes that, "An organizational consultant in New York says that his graduate students typically recall only 5 percent of the main ideas in a presentation of graphs and charts, while they generally remember half of the stories told in the same presentation." This is something I'll have to think about as my classes start today.

So let me tell you a few stories of the small ways I have seen God in my life in a very real way recently:

Kara Saves the Day
I arrived to the meeting on Wednesday, pleased with my syllabus... everything was in order and I was excited to start my classes. Then I realized that I could no longer use the book that I had planned my whole unit around. Surprised, dismayed, and I believe the best word is frazzled... I needed to quickly come up with another plan. I felt so alone, as I was the only one from my program's year choosing to teach 102/108 (rhetoric/comp) instead of 101 (comp). But then, I looked at an email and noticed that Kara, wonderful friend and amazing experiences ESL teacher, was doing the same thing. She graciously gave of her time, energy and own materials to work through the course with me. Kara has helped me get through some very rough days, and I know it's been God working through her.

That Darn Washing Machine
Well, I had done it... officially ran out of every stitch of clean clothes that I had, and I went to use the washing machine. But, it wasn't working. The thing just wouldn't fill up. So, I went knocking on my neighbors doors, and the second apartment opened up to Maria who not only opened her door to my laundry but also to me. She offered me a cup of coffee and we sat and chatted and watched a movie. In fact, she might even join with GCF or come to our Romans Bible Study. But, I'm so thankful for that opportunity to meet Maria, which wouldn't have happened if not for 'that darn washing machine.'

Non-cyclist Katie
So, I don't know a thing about bikes. I have one, but I honestly don't know a thing about it. I would fail "Bikes 101." It's really that bad. Well, I was biking back from Sunflower (a wonderful grocery store), when it seemed a bit harder. I looked down and my tire was a bit flat. I stopped at a gas station to fill it up... as best as I could figure how. Two days later, I needed to run to the store again. This time a friendly man at the bus stop noticed (right where the gas station was) noticed the tire was practically on the ground. He offered to help and fill it up, even though the bus he needed was already there, and he had just enough time (waiting for a red light) to fill up the tires with air for me. It was right in the nick of time!

My Roommates
It was a gamble this year- 3 new roommates. Who knew what I'd get? But I've been blessed by 3 amazingly sweet and kind roommates. They've even agreed that I can have the common area for a bit on Monday evenings in order to host the Romans Bible Study, and a couple are hoping to attend with is wonderful! I thank God for blessing me with great roommates and great new friends.

Praise the LORD, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples. For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever. Praise the LORD. - Psalm 117

Reading this lovely Psalm this morning, I can't help but think of 2 things. First of all, my experiences this summer- I was in Guatemala and the Dominican Republic. In Guatemala, I studied the Bible with my host family and prayed with them several times. In the DR, I had the opportunity to worship alongside many of my Dominican brothers and sisters. Though the styles are different, the heart is the same. And I know in each setting, we were worshipping the Lord in spirit and in truth.

Secondly, I think of the many wonderful international students that I have recently met through Graduate Christian Fellowship. I pray that the same may happen here- that we may continue to praise the Lord in our own languages and come together as a community of believers to work together as well. Lord, help me to provide a setting for such fellowship and study.

No comments: