Friday, August 28, 2009

God- so dear and so here...

He restores my soul. - Psalm 23:3

Today's reflection in ODB is about a shepherd caring for his sheep. I actually didn't realize that there is a term called 'cast down' position which describes a sheep on its back and unable to get up. The shepherd must help stand it back up, massage and soothe the sheep until it is back to its previous state.

I know that I've experienced God restoring my soul in the same way. I've been 'cast down,' and unable to come out of my troubles of my own. And only after experiencing that was I able to truly appreciate the amazing character of God's mercy and grace. Lord, thank You for restoring my soul... for I am nothing but a silly, incapable sheep... and I desperately need my shepherd.

As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people both now and forevermore. - Psalm 125:2

I love this image, and I believe you could quite easily insert Tucson. "As the mountains surround Tucson, so the LORD surrounds his people both now and forever more." Having just seen my wonderful, amazing boyfriend for the first time in 3 1/2 months, I'm reminded of how important it is to be with someone. While email, skype and other technological advances are great, there's really no replacement for being with someone, close to them in a real way... feeling their arms and their love surround you. Well, God doesn't have to rely on long-distance telephone calls, because He surrounds us.... He is here among us... both now and forever more. Lord, thank You for being here with me this morning and every morning.

No comments: