Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What Can I Give... Poor As I Am?

Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!-2 Corinthians 9:15

As a little girl, I remember how we used to sing in Sunday School...

"What can I give Him,
Poor as I am?"

As a carefree little girl, well-taken-care-of by my parents, I had not a worry in the world. I didn't feel poor at all. I could put a quarter in the offering plate, which my parents had passed on to me. I didn't know the struggle of "what can I give...?"

But recently, as a grad student... having sacrificed a summer of earnings, I've felt the pinch. On Black Friday, I went out with my parents to buy a new computer (since mine was no longer working properly), and I had an mini-emotional breakdown of sorts. It was about priorities (what did this spending say about where my priorities were), it was about selfish desires and consumerism (why was I spending this money on me), but it was also about the fact that this computer cost half of all the money I have to my name, and Christmas is coming. I save up all year so that I can give the people I love at least something little... something to show how much I love and appreciate them. And now I really feel like, what can I give them, poor as I am?

But the song answers that question:

"If I were a wiseman,
I would do my part.
But what can I give Him?
I'll give my heart."

So even though I might not be able to give the gifts I'd like to give this season, ODB has some ideas... and hopefully people will know that these come with a lot of heart:

• The gift of listening. No interrupting, no planning your response. Just listening.

• The gift of affection. Being generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, and pats on the back.

• The gift of laughter. Sharing funny stories and jokes. Your gift will say, “I love to laugh with you.”

• The gift of a written note. Expressing in a brief, handwritten note your appreciation or affection.

• The gift of a compliment. Sincerely saying, “You look great today” or “You are special” can bring a smile.

And best of all... the gift of the news of Jesus as Lord and Savior and His indescribable gift of eternal life.


With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day....The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare...But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness. -2 Peter 3:8,10,13

As I mentioned last week, one of the most precious gifts a grad student can give is their time. In fact, I'm convinced that it's not just grad students these days. It's the travelling businessman, it's the overbooked high school student athlete, it's the ________. Everyone is busy these days, and I really wonder why. We've created all these devices to make us more efficient and effective, and I wonder whether they will be our demise. Since we can do things faster, we have to do more things. And it somehow seems so all-important.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do believe that we should glorify God with everything we do- and that means everything from construction work to a college paper to a grad student presentation at a conference. However, we have to keep in mind that our days are numbered. That our perception of time is not the same as God's, and that all this will disappear. Really, we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth. It's so easy for me, especially at the end of a hectic semester, to get so wrapped up in my work that I can't see out of it... I can't see the beauty of being with my family or the joy of advent. I spent the first few days of Thanksgiving break caught up in giving every moment to my studies. Then, I realized that I had sacrificed more important things- my family and my Lord. Lord, help me to keep in mind that everything in this world will be laid bare. Yours is the important and eternal kingdom... and I give my heart to You first.

No comments: