Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A New Year's Resolution: Refinement & Radiance

Resolution

22let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. 23Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. -Hebrews 10:22-25

I feel like there's so much in this scripture today... in fact, perhaps it's a beautiful New Years Resolution for each one of us: devotion (a sincere heart), faith (in full assurance), repentence and acceptance of God's forgiveness (our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us...), spiritual community with our Brethren (meeting together), good deeds, encouragement in the faith (spur one another on). The encouragement part is mentioned twice, and this year I especially pray that while I aim to strengthen my walk with the Lord, that I may also encourage others to do so. I'm not sure yet. Lord, please lead me in what ways I may find to follow you and also spur on my brothers and sisters in their walks with you.


Refinement

8 In the whole land," declares the LORD,
"two-thirds will be struck down and perish;
yet one-third will be left in it.

9 This third I will bring into the fire;
I will refine them like silver
and test them like gold.
They will call on my name
and I will answer them;
I will say, 'They are my people,'
and they will say, 'The LORD is our God.' "
-Zechariah 13:8-9


This morning I'm thinking about how last Christmas I brought home one book- my Spanish Bible. This year I brought home 6 books, all 'fun' reading related to my school work. Now, that's partly because I lean on my online Bible source, but this isn't something I'm pleased about as i now take time to think about it. "Where my treasure is, there my heart will be also." I want to have the dust of my Savior on me, not other rabbis... Lord help me to keep my eyes fixed upon You this year... just a closer walk with thee, Lord. This year, it will be especially important. Guide me. I need you to refine me, Lord. I pray that I'm that 1/3 that isn't perfect but needs refinement. Like the silver and gold, Lord. I want to shine for you.


Radiance

9One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb." 10And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. -Revelation 21:9-11

22I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 25On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. 26The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. 27Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life. -Revelations 21:22-27

These scriptures about brides are all the more real to me, as I look forward to Josh & Diana's wedding this Spring. The 'bride' in the scripture is a beautiful metaphor for Christ's relationship to the church, but seeing the images of beautiful brides like Diana will be helps me to realize that we are "radiant" and "treasured" and "precious" to the Lord. Lord, I trust that as I remain close to You this year, You will make me like the city, like the bride that doesn't need sun or moon, but shines with Your glory and Your light.

You have blessed me so, Lord. I thank You so much for the time of renewal and refreshment, for a wonderful family and new family. I ask that You continue to guide me this year... and teach me how to be radiant, to shine for You.

No comments: