Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What Matters Most- ThanksGIVING

~Usually, we concentrate on the THANKS part of Thanksgiving, but this year I'm focused on the GIVING part. We are just supposed to 'be' thankful, we are to 'give' thanks. I don't know about you, but I see a difference. Being thankful is all of an inward thing, while giving thanks is reflecting that thanks to the Lord, an active doing and presenting the Lord with expressions of gratefulness. This Thanksgiving, I want to give Thanks to my Lord for all the good things He has given me... and give thanks to those who surround me.... just as Jesus showed us by example (Mark 10) and taught us (1 Peter 1).

Jesus Gives Thanks
The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve. —Mark 10:45

To me, the whole Thanksgiving meal is actually an analogy of Thanksgiving. First of all, it's hard to give to someone, if they're not there. So, we gather around the table... coming from near and far to be with one another. Then, we give thanks together, and everyone has something to give. At most Thanksgivings I've been at, it's been at least semi-potluck style. Even within our family, someone would give time to set the table, another would give effort to run to the store for that inevitably forgotten last ingredient, another would give energy to cook and prepare delicious dishes, another would give joyful conversation, and another would give the gift of cleaning up the many pots, pans and dishes. Perhaps that's why Paul in Acts mentions how the church would meet together for a meal: an opportunity to practice serving, just as Jesus did before us. Serving involves giving of yourself for the benefit of another.

Last night we had a lovely little potluck at my place. Ruth, Joseph, Michelle, Jess, Pacifica and I enjoyed a meal together. And they all gave me the wonderful present of their presence, being there and giving each other our time (which I believe is the most precious commodity of a grad student). Lord, this Thanksgiving, I once again dedicate myself to You. Help keep me focused on serving and giving to You and all Your children.

No comments: