Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Brokenness

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart. —Psalm 51:17

11Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. -John 3:1

I remember that in church we used to puzzle over the verse to a praise song that said, "Brokenness is what I long for." How could you long for brokenness? Brokenness can't be a good thing. A broken catcard, a broken computer, a broken alarm clock, all very bad things. Even worse a broken spirit! But, this kind of brokenness is different.

"Contrite" is a word that's not used very often, and I feel people often confuse it with the word "trite," which sounds similar but is almost opposite in terms of meaning. Since, it is essential to understanding this passage, "contrite" is feeling sorrow or regret for one's sins.

Now, we can look back and understand the need for brokenness. If the catcard weren't broken, you wouldn't take it to the student services desk. If the computer weren't broken, you wouldn't take it to the store. If the alarm clock weren't broken, you wouldn't take it to the shop. If your heart weren't broken, you wouldn't take it to God. We need to be broken in order to understand our sins.

Lord, like Paul, I'm thankful that I'm incapable, that I can't on my own, that I'm feeling broken right now for the sins I've committed- for I know that sin affect not only myself but other and You dear Lord. But it has brought me back to You. Thank You for Your forgiveness Father. Plesae use me in some small way today.

No comments: