Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Time is Now... and Forever

From the Beginning to the End of the Year

The eyes of the Lord your God are always on [the land], from the beginning of the year to the very end of the year. —Deuteronomy 11:12

Last year around New Years, I remember a reflection that hit me strongly, and I remember it even now. It was a depiction of God as a "middle C." No matter where you are, C is always C. It's a note that stays the same despite the changing years, ages, circumstances. Even within a year, so much can change. Last year, I never would've quite imagined this. In fact, flying back to Tucson after the first of the year, I was quite sure that I had gained myself a good friend as opposed to any hopes of anything more. But,things change. This thought might sometimes sadden us (when things are going our way), and sometimes excite us (when things aren't). But it is true. But the thing that never changes will always give us hope and joy and love overflowing... and that is the Lord our God... who is with us from the very beginning to the very end of each year.


The Beginning and the End of Judgment

1 "See, I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come," says the LORD Almighty.

2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderer's soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness, 4 and the offerings of Judah and Jerusalem will be acceptable to the LORD, as in days gone by, as in former years.

5 "So I will come near to you for judgment. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear me," says the LORD Almighty.

Just the other day I was reading Malachi with Brad, and Chapter 3 has a lot to do with my reflection yesterday. Thank goodness that it is only for the Lord to judge, because I myself cannot hope to make such decisions. I don't know the heart... as 2 Samuel reminds that God does. And because God knows the heart, He's here with us all year long, working like a refiner's fire or launderer's soap... to change our hearts and purify them as they need to be changed. One of my favorite songs by Third Day is "Consuming Fire," not exactly my style of music as it's a bit 'harder' rock, but even the tune is fitting. Because it's a 'hard' subject... God comes and refines us with His fire, and it's hard. But, I pray that God changes my heart this year... from the very beginning to the very end... refine me Lord.


The Beginning and the End

12"Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. 13I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.


The Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, keep me strong and faithful throughout the entirety of this year, Lord. Thank You for being the one who will guide me today and forever.

No comments: