Tuesday, January 3, 2012

So That You May Have Peace in Me

Seek Peace

"Refresh yourself in the peace of my presence. In Me, you may have confident peace." (Young)

Yesterday, the devotional reminded us to 'seek God'. Today, it reminds us that when we seek, we 'seek peace'. When we truly seek and find God, we will find a peace that fills us despite whatever we may be going through at the time. This is what He promises:

33 “I have told you these things [about what would happen to Him], so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

In a way, seeking God and seeking peace is one and the same. So the scripture "Seek peace and pursue it" (Psalm 34:14) might as well read "Seek God and pursue Him."


A Covenant

When you think about it, an agreement or a covenant is often the basis for peace. When countries are in agreement, it is very hard to have a war. When couples are in agreement, it is hard to have marital disputes. It is when there is disagreement that problems arise and upset the peace. I'm reminded of a few Sundays back when someone in church noted that "the way to marital harmony is to always agree with your spouse as quick as you can."

Today's Bible-in-a-Year reading reminded me of a very special covenant that God made with Noah, establishing a peaceful agreement. Although God certainly showed that He could destroy the whole earth, God chose not to do so in that way, to that measure ever again.

In the covenant covenant of marriage, we promise to remain together despite hardship, despite the ability abandon one another. And we present each other with a sign, a ring. Similarly, God's sign to His people was the rainbow.

However, notable in this covenant is that this is a covenant that is lasting... for all generations to come.

12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”

17 So God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth.” (Genesis 9:12-17)

God chose to present an agreement, a covenant. God chose a peaceful existence with the earth, the people on the earth and all living creatures.

And God calls us to seek Him and seek the peace that His presence promises to bring to every day. He calls us... so that we may have peace.

No comments: