Monday, January 16, 2012

Rest in God's Peace

Last night as I read some of the childbirth book from the class we're attending, I couldn't help but begin to get nervous about labor. The pain, the ripping, the tearing... can I really do this? I'm interested in a natural childbirth, but reading and thinking about it sometimes makes me quite nervous about the whole experience. Is it futile even trying? Should I give up right now?

Sarah Young's reflection for today reads "Rehearsing your troubles results in you experiencing them many times where as you are meant to go through them only when they actually occur... Instead, come to me and relax in my peace. I will strengthen you and prepare you for this day, transforming your fear into confident trust."

The books I have been reading echo similar sentiments about childbirth, that the body when relaxed naturally produces endorphins and oxytocin, positive hormones that relax the body... allowing it to work as intended. Anxiety and fear lead to pain which lead to more anxiety and fear which lead to more pain, etc. So, it seems that finding rest, relaxation, finding God and feeling His presence in childbirth is key... although I can only imagine how challenging it could be.

But, this isn't true only of the childbirth process. In our lives, when we are anxious about a certain assignment/job/task, we become fearful, and then it can create 'pain' or 'stress' in our lives. We are focused so on that difficulty that we distance ourselves from God, forgetting His omnipresence in our lives, forgetting about the peace, assurance, rest and relaxation that He longs to bring to us.

It seems that even Joshua faced anxiety about the task that God had placed before him- leading the Israelites, who tended to grumble a lot. He knew this wouldn't be easy. He wondered if He could, and God encouraged him:

No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:5,9)

And God was faithful to Joshua, just as He is to all of us. The one who is always with us calls each of us:

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

No comments: