Friday, January 6, 2012

He's Able

As a young girl in Sunday School, I remember singing:

"He's able, He's able,
I know He's able.
I know the Lord is able
to carry me through."


The interesting thing about that Sunday School singing time was that most times Jane Frain was playing the piano for our songs. Only years later did I learn that she didn't read music. She had carefully learned each song so that we could enjoy singing together to the Lord. And in my mind, the sound of those voices and that piano are so beautiful. Yes, the Lord is able to carry us through... and to use us when we allow Him to.

This morning's devotional reads, "I am able to do far beyond all that you ask or imagine" based on Ephesians 3:20-21. Do we truly recognize this in our daily comings and goings... the power that God has to do not only what we hope or dream... but beyond what we imagine. It was certainly difficult for Sarai & Abram to grasp this. And I'd venture that it's a bit difficult for us as well.

15 God also said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. 16 I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.”

17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?” 18 And Abraham said to God, “If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!” (Genesis 17:15-18)


10 Then one of them said, “I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son.”

Now Sarah was listening at the entrance to the tent, which was behind him. 11 Abraham and Sarah were already very old, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing. 12 So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, “After I am worn out and my lord is old, will I now have this pleasure?”

13 Then the LORD said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh and say, ‘Will I really have a child, now that I am old?’ 14 Is anything too hard for the LORD? I will return to you at the appointed time next year, and Sarah will have a son.”

15 Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.”

But he said, “Yes, you did laugh.” (Genesis 18:10-15)


Both Abram and Sarai - God-fearing people - laughed when they heard what God would do in their lives. They were surprised. They found it hard to believe, hard to imagine. But like the visitor reminded them, nothing is too difficult for the Lord. He can do all things.

What promise of good news would make you laugh? A job provided at the right time? A healthy child? An invitation to be a deacon?

I recently was asked to be on the ballot as a deacon at Shalom Mennonite Fellowship, where Brad and I have been attending for a year now and have become associate members. I was at first surprised by this invitation. I feel quite young and new to the congregation, but then I remembered - I pray every day for Shalom, that God would use that church and use me as a part of that church. As I prayed about this decision, I couldn't help but feel that perhaps this was God's answer to my prayer, even though it was an answer that might prompt a metaphorical "laugh" like that of Sarah & Abraham. Although I questioned, "But I am too young and new. Could I really do something like this?", I choose to trust that if the congregation votes me into this position, God "is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine according to His power at work in us" (Ephesians 3:20).

No comments: