Friday, January 13, 2012

Let me prepare you...

I'm a planner. I admit it. I think one of the things that surprised Brad the most was how I could be thinking 3 years down the road when he has trouble thinking 3 hours ahead.

But I'd even venture to guess that I'm not the only one. Many of us are forced into planning in some way or another, by our society, by our jobs, by our circumstances. For instance, right now Brad and I are planning for our baby to come this June. Brad made a budget to take us through June in case he doesn't get funding this summer. We've signed up for various childbirth classes, and we're investigating various 'methods' to use in order to plan the birth that's right for us.

But planning isn't only something for momentous occasions. In our jobs, we often need a 'planner' of some kind, where we keep track of meetings, schedule deadlines, etc. The first thing handed out at the beginning of the semester is a plan of studies - a syllabus. In fact, we get so accustomed to planning, that we forget that God doesn't work that way.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

We often forget that although God knows His plans for our lives, we aren't 'in' on those plans. It's in vain that we go about planning our existence, because God will equip up for the journey and whatever lies ahead.

Take Joseph, for example. I can hardly believe that after being thrown in a pit and thrown into the dungeon he'd expect this change of luck:

39 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. 40 You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you.” (Genesis 41:39-40)

But God calls us to His side, to spend time with Him. Then, we will know that wherever God's path leads us, God will prepare us for the journey. And then we can rest in Him.

14 The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” (Exodus 33:14)



No comments: