Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Strength of Joy

What a day! I can't begin to express the joy that is in my heart. The first day of our General Meeting is something I look forward to- a semester's syllabus in hand with photograph and film analysis and creative ideas I'm hoping will this time really inspire my students. So much excitement! And a new program that is filled with exciting opportunities for study abroad, research, conferences, teaching, and amazingly wonderful colleagues. Then there's the fact that Brad is coming home... and this time we'll spend more than a day and a half together in our new home! We'll actually be living together in our own place for more than 2 days for the first time ever! It's exciting.

So much joy, but then I wish to be filled with this feeling always, and I think of the Lord. I know that "the joy of the Lord is my strength." And isn't it true? When we're filled with joy about something (whether it's a class, a baby, a marathon, a puppy, a project) we pour hours and hours into it... we have almost super-human strength in completing the task that brings us so much joy. I know that when we are so filled with the Holy Spirit and let the Lord's joy enter our hearts, we are renewed with the strength that is not our own, a strength that won't burn out, a strength that is the Lord's. I pray this morning that we may all be filled with that joy... the joy of the Lord... which gives enduring strength.


Not Our Strength

26Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29so that no one may boast before him. 30It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 1:26-31)

This is a good reminder from Paul. We ourselves are not able... think about who we are on our own. At least myself, I know I tend to fall into a pit, feel down or worried or nervous. Now these feelings at moments are all natural, but they also serve to point us back to God. Instead of focusing constantly on our state, we should turn our eyes to the Lord and recognize His perfect power and patience and peace and strength in every situation. Since we can't, isn't it calming and wonderful to know that He can?

And He wants to use us... imperfect persons with our frailties and faults and difficulties. I'm perhaps a bit too stubborn at times and perfectionistic, as many of us are, and I don't feel quite up to par with all of these super-intelligent colleagues of mine. But we are weak... in so many ways and trying to pretend that we are perfect is chasing after the wind. Recognizing our failures and letting them go allows us to boast in the Lord. I remember I always wanted to make a t-shirt that showed a real weak guy trying to lift a bar bell that said, "I'm weak... But He's Strong." And you know what I think the real test would be, who would wear it... especially in high school or on a college campus. It's frightening to admit that we are weak.

But take comfort in the Psalm and the words they speak to us...


But His

1 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
2 Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
3 Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his [a] ;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
5 For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations. (Psalm 100:1-5)

No comments: