Friday, August 6, 2010

Alleluia! You Will Bring Me Up Again

Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter,
you will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth
you will again bring me up. (Psalm 71:20)


When I read these words this morning it was like a sweet and soothing salve for my soul. We've all felt bitter troubles, but yet it is in the Lord that we have hope for restoration... to be brought up again. Repeat it, say it out loud. Say it like you mean it, say it like you believe it. Isn't it beautiful? That the Lord will bring us up again!

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter,
you will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth
you will again bring my up."



Always More Hope
14 But as for me, I will always have hope;
I will praise you more and more.


15 My mouth will tell of your righteousness,
of your salvation all day long,
though I know not its measure.

16 I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, O Sovereign LORD;
I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone.

17 Since my youth, O God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.

18 Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, O God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your might to all who are to come.

19 Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God,
you who have done great things.
Who, O God, is like you?

20 Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter,
you will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth
you will again bring me up.

21 You will increase my honor
and comfort me once again.


22 I will praise you with the harp
for your faithfulness, O my God;
I will sing praise to you with the lyre,
O Holy One of Israel.

23 My lips will shout for joy
when I sing praise to you—
I, whom you have redeemed. (Psalm 71:14-23)


"But as for me, I will always have hope." As yesterday I prayed to be more loving, today I pray for more hope. This is followed by, "I will praise you more and more." And I believe the two are perhaps inextricably linked. When we praise the Lord constantly for all the good gifts He has given to us, how can we not be hopeful for the many good gifts that are to come? However, that's not to say that we won't see bitter troubles. The other verse mentions that outright. We have all seen troubles, but we trust that God will lift us from the depths and bring us up again. We hope in Him.

Yesterday I changed my name to Christoffersen. We originally wanted to have 2 last names together to symbolize the both of us leaving and forming a new family, but then after talking to his very upset parents, Brad didn't feel comfortable changing to 2 last names. Then, it was just up to me to decide about my name. And yesterday I decided that if it seemed so important to his parents, then I could make the more loving and selfless decision. And, well, we still have a shared last name, which we both wanted in the first place. After all, the first time we ever talked about names, I said I would "be happy to be Katie Christoffersen, because I was happy to be marrying Brad Christoffersen." But Brad never gave me a clear opinion. The other night he said he preferred Christoffersen, but then the next day he said he preferred the other. So I was glad (and relieved) last night to find out that he is fine with the decision as well.

And so last night when I talked to Brad, we decided to put this all behind us. Our second week of marriage, right after we got home from the honeymoon, the name became a huge issue that knocked us into difficult situations with parents that aren't expected until later on in the marriage. People would smile at us and say, "Ah, newlyweds"... but we didn't feel so much like that anymore, with upset parents, broken promises and hurt feelings on all sides. It felt like we were in the depths for a very long time, a place most people don't find themselves in their first 2 months of marriage. We in some ways 'become old' in our relationship too fast, dealt with family frustrations and big decisions. But, we decided that we want to have hope for the next months. We are going back to claim our 'newlyweddedness' full-force, because no one will take that from us. I praise the Lord, because I know that He can restore our life again, and bring us up from the depths of despair.


Hope For the "Good"

22We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will

28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[a] who[b] have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:22-28)


Similarly, as Paul states, we do not hope for what we have. When we are 'groaning' and when we are 'in despair', we hope in the Lord. This isn't always the easiest thing. It's hard for me to hope, to look forward to something, because I'm afraid of being disappointed, having my heart broken if it doesn't come through. It's hard to hope in people or opportunities, but it's easier to hope in God. Because, well, God is God! God is looking out for the best for us. And the Spirit helps us know what to pray and hope for. And... "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him"! Amen! Thank you, Father. I know that You work for the good of me, of my family, of my friends, of all of us... and that gives me a lot of hope. A strong hope, a hope even for those depths, knowing that you will bring me up again!

No comments: