Monday, March 22, 2010

What the Lord Has Done

Many people will describe their best friend, as someone who "has always been there, no matter what." We go back to the past to prove the strength of our relationships, what they mean to us. And for that reason, what the Lord has done is a great part of our relationship with Him, what we know about him and why we trust in our God now and forever... because He has listened, protected and blessed, among other things.


The Lord Has Listened

2 On the day the LORD gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the LORD in the presence of Israel:
"O sun, stand still over Gibeon,
O moon, over the Valley of Aijalon."

13 So the sun stood still,
and the moon stopped,
till the nation avenged itself on [b] its enemies,
as it is written in the Book of Jashar.
The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. 14 There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the LORD listened to a man. Surely the LORD was fighting for Israel! -Joshua 10:2-14


I find these passages in the Old Testament so interesting, when God is negotiating with Moses or here with Joshua. While God's character is the same, His empathy is great. Brad and I are going through marriage counseling, and one thing anyone will tell you is the importance of listening. Active listening is an act of love. A God who listens is an extremely loving God. Though we often think of God as 'hearing our prayers,' it's important to remember that He listens to our prayers... a loving, kind and empathetic gesture that our Heavenly Father showed in this interaction with Joshua but continues to show with us.


The Lord Has Protected

16 Now the five kings had fled and hidden in the cave at Makkedah. 17 When Joshua was told that the five kings had been found hiding in the cave at Makkedah, 18 he said, "Roll large rocks up to the mouth of the cave, and post some men there to guard it. 19 But don't stop! Pursue your enemies, attack them from the rear and don't let them reach their cities, for the LORD your God has given them into your hand."
20 So Joshua and the Israelites destroyed them completely—almost to a man—but the few who were left reached their fortified cities. 21 The whole army then returned safely to Joshua in the camp at Makkedah, and no one uttered a word against the Israelites.

22 Joshua said, "Open the mouth of the cave and bring those five kings out to me." 23 So they brought the five kings out of the cave—the kings of Jerusalem, Hebron, Jarmuth, Lachish and Eglon. 24 When they had brought these kings to Joshua, he summoned all the men of Israel and said to the army commanders who had come with him, "Come here and put your feet on the necks of these kings." So they came forward and placed their feet on their necks.

25 Joshua said to them, "Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous. This is what the LORD will do to all the enemies you are going to fight." 26 Then Joshua struck and killed the kings and hung them on five trees, and they were left hanging on the trees until evening. -Joshua 10:16-26


As I mentioned previously, the violence in the Old Testament is difficult for me to deal with, but see the previous reflection for my thoughts on that. (Briefly, the law hasn't changed, but the verdict has. The Old Testament was an attempt to purge the world of sin, but the New Testament is forgiving the world of sin.) However, here Joshua calls their attention to how God has protected them, with the intent that they will not be afraid in the future. While in the previous example we looked at God's love and empathy for proof that He is a loving God, this example asks us to notice God's protect and know that He is a loyal and strong Father who will watch over us.


The Lord Has Blessed

46And Mary said:
"My soul glorifies the Lord
47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.
50His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation.
51He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.
53He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.
54He has helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful
55to Abraham and his descendants forever,
even as he said to our fathers." -Luke 1:46-
55

And who could forget Mary's song? Such a beautiful reaction to a blessing, and this morning I pray that I would have the same reaction to blessings in my life. Also notice the repetition of what He has done... outlining proof of His character through past experiences.

What has the Lord done in your life? How could your praise Him today through what you have seen and what you have known? I challenge you to take a few minutes and write your own song. I'll do my own. Here's mine today-

Katie's Song-
My soul praises the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for He has been mindful of the humble state of his servant,
From now on all will see that I have been blessed,
That He would do great things through me!
He looks upon those who obey him, granting me the desire of my heart,
To serve Him together with a love who loves both Him and me.
He has done amazing things, opening up doors to travel and serve and study.
He has brought down others with great ambition and intelligence,
but lifted up an average student such as myself.
He has filled my thirst for a faithful Christian companion,
And my hunger to serve in ministry.
He has helped His people and shows His love to them.
What a blessing to serve Him, how sweet to have a helper by my side,
Joy in my heart and a dream of ministry in my soul...
Oh God, how You can use even a small, quiet, simple girl as myself,
To do many miraculous and wonderful things for many!
I praise You Father for Your perfect plans, for Your abundant gifts,
For listening (loving), protecting (caring), and blessing me!

No comments: