Tuesday, March 23, 2010

So Close, You Can "Smell" It

I feel that this turn of phrase is going out of style, but it used to be more common. Used in the context of a game win, a finish line, a point of destination. Although our eyes couldn't see those end points yet, our sense of smell could catch the scent. Your nose knows when your eyes don't know yet. Oftentimes it is true, you can smell a fire before you can see it. But whether it's literally a sense of smell or a 'sense' of some other sort, that's often the way we experience God... like the familiar passage about the wind... though we can't see it, we can feel it. Though we can't see Him, we can sense Him.

Through us [God] diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. —2 Corinthians 2:14

And such was the tradition. There was, in the Old Testament times, a specific fragrance set apart for God. And when people caught the scent, it was a reminder of Him. Now that we are His, the question is... what kind of fragrance do we give off? (No, I'm not talking about whether we're ready for a date or just finished a 20 mile run.) What kind of fragrance does our personality, the manner of our living, our character give off? Does it remind people of the fragrance of God? Do they think... God's so close to her, I can smell it? God diffuses His fragrance through us... be careful how you smell.


2Then they made signs to his father, to find out what he would like to name the child. 63He asked for a writing tablet, and to everyone's astonishment he wrote, "His name is John." 64Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue was loosed, and he began to speak, praising God. 65The neighbors were all filled with awe, and throughout the hill country of Judea people were talking about all these things. 66Everyone who heard this wondered about it, asking, "What then is this child going to be?" For the Lord's hand was with him. -Luke 1:62-66

While it may be a stretch, I feel that "the neighbors" and the "people" catch the scent of what's going on. They're all talking about the miracle done through Zecchariah and who this child will be. From before John the Baptist was born, they recognized that "the Lord's hand was with him."

Have you ever met anyone... that you just knew? You sensed it? Or you scented it? You know the ones I'm talking about... No, they're not showy or boastful. They simply can't hide it... God shows all over them. They couldn't wash the scent off it they wanted to.

I remember when I first applied for a job at Dot's Bakery down the shore. I wrote a letter of interest, because I'd heard so much about the Scheuermanns and had my heart set on working there. When I went in, I remember seeing Mrs. Scheuermann's face all lit up and smiling, as usual. "Tommy," she said, turning to her son. "This is the girl I told you about. She's the one that wrote us that nice letter." At the time, Mr. & Mrs. Scheuermann, their two sons Tommy & Marty, and their daughter Jane would work there in the morning. It was truly a family business if you ever saw one! That's not to mention the many grandkids and other children that would come by in the summer for a few weeks and help out.

I loved working there, so much that I told my dad and brother about it, and my dad still works part time in the summers to this day. Over 10 years of not just work but friendship with the sweetest and most faithful family you could ever know. Working there was a joy (even doing stickies), because we were surrounded by not just the sweet fragrance of pastries but the sweet fragrance of God that fills the place, making the sweets that much sweeter. And I am so excited that they will be such a special part of my wedding celebration this summer- it will literally be the icing of the cake! I couldn't think of a more special sweet way to include the love of this family and all they have done for me into this special day.

I have been so blessed by this family, as so many have, and they, if anyone, have certainly allowed God to diffuse the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. He's so close to all of them, you can 'smell' Him.

No comments: