Saturday, November 14, 2009

Amidst Sorrow & Joy

In Singing and Sadness

When the builders laid the foundation of the temple of the LORD, the priests in their vestments and with trumpets, and the Levites (the sons of Asaph) with cymbals, took their places to praise the LORD, as prescribed by David king of Israel. 11 With praise and thanksgiving they sang to the LORD :
"He is good;
his love to Israel endures forever."
And all the people gave a great shout of praise to the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid. 12 But many of the older priests and Levites and family heads, who had seen the former temple, wept aloud when they saw the foundation of this temple being laid, while many others shouted for joy. 13 No one could distinguish the sound of the shouts of joy from the sound of weeping, because the people made so much noise. And the sound was heard far away. -Ezra 3:10-13

I LOVE this passage, and I don't think I've taken much notice of it until today. As they rebuilt Solomon's temple it was one of those frequent moments of bittersweet emotions. Sweet in the joy of building a new temple... bitter in sadness of the temple that had been destroyed by war and violence.

I remember talking to my dad about all the memories that he had, and he told me it made him a bit sad. I didn't understand why at the time, but he was happy to talk about his parents and his childhood, but he was sad that it was a part of his life that he wouldn't get back.

The same thing happens to me so many times with the so many things that remind me of Amanda. Most recently I was playing guitar hero (so much fun), and there was a Dylan song. I just had to play that one of course... and I tangled up in blue-ed for Amanda- fun but also a bit sad.

But I think it's important to point out that in the verse they are not the same people who are singing and weeping. Different people are singing and weeping, so that there is always a chorus of laughter and tears... so much the truth in our lives, and it's so important. If not, the world would all be chaos and grief at once... this way we can carry each other through in the times when we feel faint.

His Love Never Fails

I have been deprived of peace;
I have forgotten what prosperity is.

18 So I say, "My splendor is gone
and all that I had hoped from the LORD."

19 I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.

20 I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.

21 Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:

22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.

23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him."

25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;

26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD. -Lamentations 3:17-26

These verses are much more familiar, and I love them, and I love the poetry in it. The sadness so clearly expressed and then the 'bridge' or 'turning point'- "Yet I call to mind...." When we are feeling that way we need to remember God. We need to wait and hope in Him and seek Him.

This week I was feeling so distraught at one point that I just couldn't see God. I couldn't recognize my value... I felt like I had committed an unforgivable sin. I felt like all my value had disappeared, and I was doing more harm in so many ways than good. But so many angels came along my side and helped me to remember exactly what I needed to hear: God is the one who ultimately gives me value, He will never give up on me, His love is unfailing. And that is what I need to remember, amidst the sorrow and amidst the joy.


We Don't Shrink Back

35So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. 36You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. 37For in just a very little while,
"He who is coming will come and will not delay.
38But my righteous one will live by faith.
And if he shrinks back,
I will not be pleased with him." 39But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved. -Hebrews 10:35-39

These verses remind me of a slinky... I don't know... maybe it's all the repetition of "shrink." Anyway, I remember how I'd put the slinky on my Baba's stairwell... always exciting since we didn't have stairs in our house. If it was planted firmly on the step, it wouldn't move. But there was a delicate tipping point, and when reached it would slink down, down, down, down.

I think it is an analogy for us... if we persevere and are planted squarely (or circlely) on the step of faith, we won't 'slink' back down. We'll stay there, and actually God will move us closer and closer towards Him. But, God will not be pleased if we slink back... moving away from our Lord. Father, help me to remain in You always... firmly planted in Your foundation in the midst of sorrow and joy.

No comments: