Monday, May 4, 2009

Jesus: My Anti-Temptation

Renuevame, Senor Jesus, (Renew me, Lord Jesus.)
Ya no quiero ser igual. (I don't want to be the same anymore.)
Renuevame, Senor Jesus, (Renew me, Lord Jesus.)
Pon en mi tu corazon. (Put your heart in me.)

Porque todo lo que hay dentro de mi, (Because everything that is inside of me,)
Necesita ser cambiado, Senor. (Needs to be changed, Lord.)
Porque todo lo que hay dentro de mi corazon, (Because everything that is within my heart,)
Necesita mas de ti. (Needs more of you.)

This song that we sang yesterday I had never sang before, and it touched me so deeply... saying exactly what I wanted to say and needed to say, even though I couldn't quite figure out how. And even more powerful when we followed it by:

Tu fidelidad es grande. (Your faithfulness is great.)
Tu fidelidad incomparable es. (Your faithfulness is incomparable.)
Nadie es como Tu, Bendito Dios. (No one is like You, Dear God.)
Grande es Tu fidelidad. (Great is Your faithfulness.)

The sentiments are far too familiar. I make a mistake and I turn to God. I cry for forgiveness, for help, for a changed heart... and God is ever-faithful in in listening to me, in helping me, in changing me. But sometimes I am strangely greatful for "the moments I feel faint" (as mentioned in the Reliant K lyrics), because in these moments I know in such a real way once again... on my own I cannot... I myself am not enough. I need God's forgiveness and love and guidance and help to change in a real way and keep me from temptation. We all have our own 'achilles heel' of temptation, but I have a powerful anti-temptation in Jesus... and I know that He will help me... He is incomparable, great, like no one, and ever-faithful.

Scan
Luke 22:24-46

"When he finished praying, he went to his followers and found them asleep because of their sadness. Jesus said to them, 'Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray for strength against temptation.'" (Luke 22:45-46)

Lord, too often I forget to pray for protection from the temptations that too easily creep into our lives when we are at our weakest. Give me this strength to follow You faithfully and keep to the road of righteousness always. Alone I cannot, but I need Your strength.

Check
Psalm 55:15-23

"But I will call to God for help, and the Lord will save me. Morning, noon, and night I am troubled and upset, but he will listen to me.... Give your worries to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will never let good people down." (Psalm 55: 16-17, 22)

And thank You, God, for being so faithful and always listening to me when I cal out to You for help. You save me when I am upset and saddened and oh so disappointed in myself, and I know that You love me even still... and You take care of me and fill me with joy and confidence. I have confidence not in myself, but I am boast in You, oh Lord, in great Your love that covers all my sins.

Save
1 Samuel 10:1-11:15

"Then the Spirit of the Lord will rush upon you with power. You will prophesy with these prophets, and you will be changed into a different man. After all these signs happen, do whatever you find to do, because God will help you." (1 Samuel 10:6-7)

Ah, Saul... How wonderful to be annointed and have the Spirit of the Lord fill you with power. I believe that the Lord has the power to change our hearts and make us radically different. Lord, I pray that Your spirit come upon me and fill me, strengthen my body and soul and spirit so that I may be changed. As the song says, "I need more of you, Lord."

No comments: