Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Cost of Discipleship

Hi there everyone!

I know I've been a bit absent as of late... I've still been reading but without the writing... so I certainly hope you're keeping up with the scriptures. You wouldn't want to miss out on such amazing stories and loves songs, such as David's song of Praise (2 Samuel 22). Well, stay tuned, because I'll soon be in Guatemala and be able to recount some fun Guatemalan stories along with my reflections on my daily Bible reading, which is such a blessing to me... and I pray that it may be to others as well.

The Cost of Discipleship

This past weekend I was at YAC, where we talked about the discipleship, and in preparation read parts of Bonheoffer's book The Cost of Discipleship. Yes, there is a cost, and yes there is a journey that is sometimes long and not the easiest path... but it is all worth it... every minute of it. And we have a God that is an "ever-present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1) and "will not test us beyond what we can bear" (1 Cor. 10:13)

The Cost of Sin: Confession
2 Samuel 23:1-24:25

"David felt ashamed after he had counted the people. He said to the Lord, 'I have sinned greatly by what I have done. Lord, I beg you to forgive me, your servant, because I have been very foolish.'" (2 Samuel 24:10)

At first upon reading, it seems curious. To what 'great sin' had King David succumbed? But, then it becomes clear... especially upon reading Joab's question: "Why do you want to do this?" Joab questions not only David's actions but his motives, his "why?" Sometimes when we look at different church traditions, we become fixed on the 'whats' instead of the 'whys.' (And the 'whys' are really the 'wise.' Ok, ok... too many times a linguist.) But, really, the heart of the matter is what matters, especially in 2 Samuel, where we are assured that "God looks at the heart" (16:7).

For instance, many are unaware that in the COB there was a controversy about whether to have Sunday School or not. At first it seems crazy that the church that started as with 8 young adults leading a Bible study in their home wouldn't embrace the concept. But the "why" is precisely that people thought it would take that important element of daily Bible study with the family out of the home. Sadly, I have to admit that I have seen that happen, but I am very excited about starting a family Bible study with my family... at least for a bit now while I'm around.

Well, the 'why', the motive, for David was the problem. His motive was pride- that word so carefully avoided in many Brethren circles. He looked at how Israel had grown and prospered during his reign, and he was tempted to take some of the glory on himself. The cost of sin is great to David, where we see God send disease and an angel sent to destroy Jerusalem. But, even without disease and destruction, the sin required David to come before God, confessing humbly that the welfare of the kingdom was all in God's hands.

The Cost of Offering: Everything
2 Samuel 23:1-24:25

"'My king, I give everything to you.' Araunah also said to the king, 'May the Lord your God be pleased with you.' But the king answered Araunah, 'No, I will pay you for the land. I won't offer to the Lord my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing.'" (2 Samuel 23-24)

This is a beautiful part of this chapter as well. David cries out to the Lord and says that it is his fault, so he should be the one to pay, not the people who "followed like sheep." And David goes to build an altar at Araunah the Jebusite's threshing floor, precisely where the angel of the Lord had stopped his killing. It's striking that Araunah's response to David was precisely what our response should be to the Lord: "I give you everything!" How long has it been since you offered everything to the Lord? From the tiny conveniences to the greatest blessings that it hurts you to let go of.

I remember so vividly last month when my heart was in such turmoil. The Lord has led me to a wonderful man who is such a blessing in my life, and I thank God every day for how he not only helps me and loves me, but also guides me closer to Him. I believe we're really walking forward on our journey of discipleship together. But, I came to a point where I needed to ask if he supported women in pastoral ministry. And although I love Brad so much and never ever want to give up the blessing he is in my life, I knew that I could go no further if he didn't... because before anything else, I must be faithful to Him. I give Him all of my life and "anyone who does not give up everything cannot be [His] disciple" (Luke 14:33). There is a cost to being God's disciple... and that cost is everything. David recognizes that our offering must cost us something, and that something must be everything, because God gave everything for us... and what He offers us in return is everything.

The Cost of Blessing:Cleansing
John 9:1-23

"After Jesus said this, he spit on the ground and made some mud with it and put the mud on the man's eyes. Then he told the man, 'Go and wash in the pool of Siloam.' (Siloam means Sent.) So the man went, washed, and came back seeing." (John 9:6-7)

This beautiful story of the man who 'was blind but now can see' is amazing and interesting in so many ways. God is teaching me new aspects of these familiar Bible stories every day. But, I especially appreciated 2 things about this story today. First is the use of mud- dirt from the earth (from which man was created according to Genesis) and God's saliva. Also, Jesus covered his eyes, covered what was ailing him. But the second and more interesting to me today is the fact that Jesus asked the man to go and wash the mud away. This involved obedience, this involved action, this involved cleansing. God wants to give us great blessings and "reveal God's power in us" (3); but in order to do this, we must "go." Lord, teach me to "go" to the pool of 'Sent' where you are sending me... so that I may come back seeing more of you.

Please take 5 minutes to check out this amazing clip of how God uses this young man's amazing musical abilities to "show God's power in [him]." (He is blind, but learned to play requests on the piano by his 2nd birthday!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qTiYA1WiY8 (Thanks for sharing, Pat!!!)

No comments: