Monday, May 11, 2009

Anything Good

Good- From Enemies
1 Samuel 24:1-25:44

"He said, 'You are a better man than I am. You have been good to me, but I have done wrong to you. You told me what good things you did. The Lord handed me over to you, but you did not kill me. People don't normally let an enemy get away like this, do they? May the Lord reward you because you were good to me today." (1 Samuel 24:17-19)

Saul was busy searching the countryside, following leads that people had given him he learned that David was in the desert of En Gedi. It just so happened that David and the gang were hiding out in a cave where Saul chose to relieve himself (eww... sometimes it seems there's a bit too much detail). David's men all wanted him to kills Saul, since he'd been 'given into his hands by the Lord.' David cut a piece of Saul's robe... he must've been pretty quiet, but then he convinced everyone not to harm Saul, since he was the 'Lord's appointed king.' Imagine Saul's surprise! He had walked right into the arms of his enemy, and David had shown mercy to him. It seems that David heaped burning coals on Saul's head and the good that came of it- a conflict resolved. It's interesting to take note of this passage, since many fail to see the message of peace in the Old Testament teachings. (I hope to read my pastor Dave Lighter's book this summer and learn some more.) The message of peace is harder to see, but it's still there... and God still tells us that it is very very good.

Good- Out of your Plans
Proverbs 16:3

"Depend on the Lord in whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." (Proverbs 16:3)

While this verse reminds me of the Jeremiah text that God has a plan for me, it is subtly different. God does have a plan for our lives, but we also have plans (that are hopefully God-honoring and in keeping with the Lord's will). And how amazing to have a loving God who wants our own plans to succeed! I do depend and trust in you, Lord, especially this summer which will be a wonderful, exciting, fruitful, but also trying time. I pray that I learn to rely on You and Your ability to make these plans succeed.

Good- Out of Nazareth
John 1:35-51

"But Nathanel said to Philip, 'Can anything good come from Nazareth?' Philip answered, 'Come and see.'" (John 1:46)

Good comes from unexpected places as these previous verses show: animosity and our own earthly plans. It also comes from unexpected people and places like Nazareth, which isn't very highly thought of. Living a split childhood between Philly and Jersey, I've heard plenty of bad things about my dear NJ... mostly from people who've never lived there. (South Jersey is actually very beautiful... that's the part that is actually the garden state.) Perhaps Nazareth could've been thought of as a Jersey... there's nothing there, it's the armpit of America, etc. But good things can come from undeserving places like Nazareth and Jersey (take Springsteen for example). And good things can come from underserving people as well. Next year, I'll try to take on a leadership position with GCF, my goals being to help give new grad students a place to feel Christian community, grow in knowledge and spiritual life with Jesus or come to know Jesus in a new way, find encouragement and support and focus on God... the center of all our lives. Lord, I ask that You use even me... Your small humble servant.

No comments: