Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thankfulness, The Path to Peace

As I continue to reflect on the importance of thanksgiving, today God is bringing me to understand how thankfulness leads to peace and greater trust in the Lord.

Just last week I made the transfer of my medical records from one health care practitioner to another, the Birth & Women's Health Center. While I was waiting for them to approve my records, I was a little nervous - pregnant and without a health care provider. But even though they had stated that it would take 3-5 days. Later that afternoon, they called back to welcome me as their patient. That was indeed an answer to prayer, because I had been praying that God keep me safe and healthy.

And just yesterday I went in for my first appointment, and it was so nice. The philosophy, the kindness, the friendly demeanor, the beautiful birthing rooms. I am so thankful to God that I have the opportunity to be a part of such a lovely practice where I know I will be well taken care of. In fact, when Brad came to pick me up at the end of the day, I said "I am just so thankful!" I had been praising and thanking God all day for the wonderful blessing... smiling and taking a few minutes to thank Him almost hourly.

How different our days would be if we did this each day- pausing each hour to thank God. It is true that yesterday I had special reason to thank Him, but we have reason to thank God every day as the little girls I taught Sunday School to in Brazil used to say, "for one more day of life". There is always a reason to give thanks.

In fact, we should even thank God for our petitions, those things that are causing us struggle, difficulty, strife- as Paul says:

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Jesus Christ." (Phillipians 4:4-7)

It's hard to believe that I'm just 2.5 weeks away from my written Comprehensive Exams, and I'm starting to get a bit nervous. Will I pass... or fail? Have I read enough? How will I have enough energy to finish it all in a week? God welcomes me to pray for His help and guidance but also to thank Him for this opportunity to study, to read interesting articles and learn about topics that are so intriguing.

When we remember to be thankful for those little blessings surrounding our petitions, God's peace will guard our hearts.

May we take time throughout the day to thank the Lord ... even for small things. Rejoice in the Lord always!

No comments: