Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Giving Thanks - Recognizing the Spirit

Yesterday I reflected on recognizing the spirit within us through our every 'breathe' and mindfully breathing the breathe sounds of God's name. Today my devotions brought me to another way to recognize the Spirit's constant presence in our lives and within us, through thankfulness or 'sacrifices of thanksgiving'.

In the devotional by Sarah Young written from the perspective of God, it is expressed this way:

"I shower blessing on you daily, but sometimes you don't perceive them. When your mind is stuck on a negative focus, see neither Me nor My gifts."

We all know those people, you know, the ones who are always grumbling or complaining about something. Students, exams, jobs, money, etc. And by those people- yes, I mean, myself included, sadly, at times. In fact it's ironic to complain about money, because we all are more blessed than so many I have known. I remember the huge "raise" I got when I came back from my year of BVS. I felt like I had more money than I needed. Then, gradually we get accustomed to our income, we adopt more expensive lifestyle habits, I don't know how exactly it happens... but we forget to be grateful. We forget that compared with so many others, we are so blessed.

The future is often a source of stress and anxiety for many. What will I do next? Which job should I take? Which way should I turn? Should I stay home or not? But having these choices, while sometimes confusing, is itself a blessing. There are so many in this world who do the only thing they can, who are with little options and no decisions, scraping by and wishing they had the opportunities we may have. Instead of grumbling and stressing, how different it would be to thank God for the decisions we are able to make.

Well, there's nothing more of a downer to hear people complaining about their circumstances. But there is something freeing and encouraging about hearing people thankfully recount their blessings. And we are thankful, God is actually able to work through us, perhaps even through our words of thanks to reach out to those who need to remember God's blessing in their lives.

So, let us all give thanks today, throughout the day, recognizing the Spirit that is at work within us.

No comments: