Saturday, September 10, 2011

Watching Out for Numero Uno

Chances are we've all heard this phrase before "watching out for numero uno" meaning that you're watching out for yourself, number one. In an individualistic society, this oftentimes sums up our concerns.

But the Bible present a countercultural alternative. It clearly shows that we have responsibilities to one another as a family. We are all asked to watch out for Numero Uno's children... that is, God's children.

1 Jesus said to his disciples: “Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come. 2 It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble. 3 So watch yourselves.

“If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. 4 Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”

5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”

6 He replied, If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you. (Luke 7:1-6)

First we are told to 'watch ourselves' because of this responsibility we have to the others in our family. Jesus calls the other Christians that we don't want to cause to stumble 'little ones', which draws upon the image of our Father and Lord, caring for us. It's as if God has asked us to be babysitters... caring for and watching over His precious children. Although we don't have children, our neighbors have told us how important it is to people you trust to watch over your 'precious little ones'. Jesus is giving us the same charge and responsibility here, to make sure they don't stumble.

In addition to watching over 'these little ones', we are also to rebuke sin and forgive quickly. He continues 'even if" as though he's ready to hear our excuses about why we may not want to forgive something. 'Even if' anything. And then it is repeated that we MUST forgive them. It's particularly hard for me to forgive, especially when I feel I haven't been understood or when someone hasn't asked for forgiveness. This is one sin that I need the Holy Spirit to help me with, so just like the apostles, I ask "Lord, increase my faith!"

Deep, honest and forgiving Christian relationships presuppose a faith in Christ, like the one described by the mustard seed metaphor. A mustard tree has a huge root system, making it very difficult indeed to pull out of the ground and throw into the see. To me, this metaphor, then, speaks to two things. It speaks to the power of faith, regardless of its size, when applied to any situation. And it also, to me, suggests that our faith when connected to a community of believers (our root system, our network) is greater than we would imagine at first... just looking at the seed.

An example of this Christian community may seem trivial, but it meant the world to me. This semester I've been faced with a very challenging course, "Computational Techniques for Linguists", learning how to program in Python and R. And I've found it quite difficult. I sent a 'help' message out to my friends on the GCF listserv and by that afternoon, I had not 1 but 6 responses from different Christian friends offering to help me out! Several have met with me and encouraged me to continue in my studies, giving up their time (which grad students have precious little of) to help me think through homework. These Christian grad students (by opening themselves up to care for their community) have been angels to me- my answers to prayer!

They are watching out for Numero Uno (Christ) and His little ones!

No comments: