Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Heart Like His

The True Shepherd
A Heart Like His

Today I am particularly touched by reading in my Guided Prayer Devotional by John Baille, especially since it reminds me of my cousin Amanda. To me, it embodies her hunger and thirst for righteousness. She would not stand idly by when she saw something injust, but instead she stood up for and worked for the good. That is something I learned from my older cousin... and today we'll remember her and thank her in our own way for all she did and all she taught us- in the concert this evening, but also in our hearts today.

"Let me stand to-day-
for whatever is pure and true and just and good:
for the advancement of science and education and true learning:
for the redemption of daily business from the blight of self-seeking:
for the rights of the weak and the oppressed:
for industrial co-operation and mutual help:
for the conservation of the rich traditions of the past:
for the recognition of new workings of Thy Spirit in the minds of the [people] of my own time:
for the hope of yet more glorious days to come.

To-day, O Lord-
let me put right before interest:
let me put others before self:
let me put the things of the spirit before the things of the body:
let me put the attainment of noble ends above the enjoyment of present pleasures:
let me put principle above reputation:
let me put Thee before all else.

O Thou the reflection of whose transcendent glory did once appear unbroken in the face of Jesus Christ, give me to-day a heart like His- a brave heart, a true heart, a tender heart, a heart with great room in it, a heart fixed on Thyself; for His name's sake. Amen."
(from 'A Diary of Private Prayer' by John Baillie)

In fact, this should be my prayer every day... for a heart like His... that would put others before myself, that would stand for justice. In a way, this prayer is a prayer that our lives would not be only our own... that we would not be serving ourselves only, but seeking to serve the Lord and others through our work, our actions, our love, our words, our prayers, our lives.

Paul was like this. Although people were plotting against him, although there were threats that he could be thrown in prison, although he would face hardships, he followed the will of God.

"And now, compelled by the spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prisons and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying the good news of God's grace." (Acts 20:22-24)

A week ago, I considered the importance of having a singularity of purpose. And in this scripture, I see Paul embodying that mentality. Paul's heart and purpose was in line with the task that Jesus had given to Him. Perhaps if we pray more that the Holy Spirit guides us, we too will find our way to serve our ultimate purpose (to glorify, obey and serve God) through the task He has given us... be that teaching in a godly manner, spreading Christ's love to our colleagues and friends, being a godly wife, husband, mother, father, cousin, sister or friend.

And certainly all of the tasks the God has given us have Christ at their center, not ourselves.

"Today Lord...
let us put right before interest,
let us put others before self..."

just as Amanda taught to do us so well.

No comments: