Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Back to Journalling- Between the Written Word & the Heart

At the end of a long semester, I appreciate taking some time to refocus, to recenter.

This year I've been invited to do different things with my devotional time, which has been nice. Brad and I began to have our devotional time together in the morning, reading and praying together before we started the day. But now, as we embark on our adventurous summers, I return to my journalling, and not just because we will be apart. I also have missed it. I find it healing, inspiring and calming to write and process so many thoughts that are a part of my days. And somewhere between or within the written words and my heart, I feel a deep connection with God.

And so, I come back to journalling, which was where my story with Christ began. When my pastor Ken gave a series called "Providence 101", in the segment about spiritual growth, he mentioned the practice of journalling. Perhaps strangely enough, this middle school aged girl was inspired and excited about this idea. "I journal already, and I really enjoy it. How much more wonderful to connect my daily Bible reading with my journalling!" And from that moment, I spent time journalling about my daily Bible readings. I was hooked.

In fact, one summer afternoon as I read the segment on Mary and the alabaster jar during a devotional journalling session, tears filled my eyes. I was filled with the same love for Jesus who I had come to know so well in writing and reading and praying to Him. I wanted to pour the alabaster jar, to give all that I had to Jesus. I ran over to my parents' room and asked them in an anxious tone, tears still in my eyes, "Why can't I be baptized?" I don't know why I put it that way. I think I just knew deep down inside that was what I wanted. My heart had already decided to put my Lord in Jesus' hands and give it all to Him. And I wanted to participate in a sign, just like Mary, to show just that. My parents answered, of course, that I could be baptized. And I affirmed that was what I wanted.

Yes, journalling and me... we go way back.

No comments: