Friday, January 21, 2011

God's Call: "His Will is My Peace"

The Many Faces of God's Call

"Calling", "vocation," "ministry," "God's will". It all seems to be a jumble of confusion when we look around at the many people who claim to be doing it... or even more confusing when we ask ourselves, "Is this God's will?"... a question that at least crops up for me all too often. But, yet, I don't believe it is too often. For, after all... hidden in that question is the acknowledgment of the importance of following God's will... is the acknowledgment that God's will is what will bring peace and meaning and wholeness to our lives.

But, when confronted with many options, many doors, many roads and many different examples, we may find ourselves spinning and wondering the path that we should follow. What is His will? This weeks' scripture readings have provided a look at the many faces of God's call... from evangelism or so-called 'fishing' to following to fellowship.

Fishing

4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”

5 Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.”

6 When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7 So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.

8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” 9 For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners.

Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.” 11 So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him. ~Luke 5:4-11

It seems clear... we should be putting out our nets, inviting others in... welcoming individuals to know Christ. "From now on, you will fish for people." Fishing... that is God's call.

Following

4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,

5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”

6 “Alas, Sovereign LORD,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”

7 But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the LORD.

9 Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.” ~Jeremiah 1:4-10

In Jeremiah, it seems clear. God's will... it's about following. Even when it seems impossible. Even when I don't think I can. I pray, I trust, I listen to God. It's about following.

Fellowship

8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 10 For,

“Whoever would love life
and see good days
must keep their tongue from evil
and their lips from deceitful speech.
11 They must turn from evil and do good;
they must seek peace and pursue it.
12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their prayer,
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” ~1 Peter 3:8-12

But wait... in 3 Peter, it's a little different. It's not about God's call to this or that. It's God's call to all of us on how we should be... on living in harmony with one another... seeking peace, keeping from evil, loving life. Wow... God's will is that we would love life.

Fishing, Following, Fellowship - "His Will is My Peace"

Although these examples at first glance seem very different... they are all one in the same. In fact, they are each general enough that we could do each in many different places. We could "fish" for our neighbors. We could "follow" God by being a Christian professor in a sea of atheist academics. We could build "fellowship" in order to bring others closer to knowing the love of Christ. It's not an either/or, it's an all/and. At the center of it all is recognizing that when we seek out God's will for our lives, when we desire that above all things, these will all naturally flow together.... no matter where we are.

This morning a reading from "Letters in the Desert" by Carlo Carreto brought me great peace:

"Whether you are on the sand worshipping, or at the teacher's desk in a classroom, what does it matter as long as you are doing the will of God?

And if the will of God urges you to seek out the poor, to give up all you possess, or to leave for distant lands, what does the rest matter? Or if it calls you to found a family or to take on a job in a city, why should you have doubts?

'His will is our peace,' says Dante. And perhaps that is the expression which best brings into focus our deep dependence on God."

"Whoever would love life and see good days"... I think sometimes we envision God as a "kill joy". (Oh, I had to do this or that, because of God's will.) Not to say there is no place for sacrifice, but only a sacrifice that is given joyfully. Why wouldn't God want us to love life... what do you love most? Being a mother, a father, a linguistics TA (that's mine)... maybe that is God's call or a part of it.

Do it as if you are doing it for the Lord, with all of your heart... fishing, following, fellowshipping... thanking God for His call on our lives that brings us peace.

No comments: