Sunday, November 21, 2010

Which Wisdom is Which?

"Wisdom"... is it always wonderful? Is it only wonderful? Or is there another side, another kind of wisdom?

I suppose in a way "wisdom" is what grad students are seeking. We look through books and endless articles on a sometimes seemingly obtuse topic, and I often remember what my cousin Jonathan O. told me, "You just need to remember that you'll spend a lot of time working on something that not a lot of people will care about." Though this statement may seem disheartening, it's somewhat relieving and refreshing. I understand why he said it. It's important, essential, to keep perspective. Whether a large part of our lives focus on the 'wisdom' of taking care of children, researching old archives or making sales, it helps to remember that there is a greater 'wisdom'... one that is above and beyond our simple lives... one that causes us to trust in the Lord instead of our own unwise wisdom.


The Unwise Wisdom

9 “‘I bathed you with water and washed the blood from you and put ointments on you. 10 I clothed you with an embroidered dress and put sandals of fine leather on you. I dressed you in fine linen and covered you with costly garments. 11 I adorned you with jewelry: I put bracelets on your arms and a necklace around your neck, 12 and I put a ring on your nose, earrings on your ears and a beautiful crown on your head. 13 So you were adorned with gold and silver; your clothes were of fine linen and costly fabric and embroidered cloth. Your food was honey, olive oil and the finest flour. You became very beautiful and rose to be a queen. 14 And your fame spread among the nations on account of your beauty, because the splendor I had given you made your beauty perfect, declares the Sovereign LORD.

15 “‘But you trusted in your beauty and used your fame to become a prostitute. You lavished your favors on anyone who passed by and your beauty became his. 16 You took some of your garments to make gaudy high places, where you carried on your prostitution. ~Ezekiel 16:9-16

In this passage, the Lord is speaking about Israel as His bride, an allegory which is carried throughout several books of the Bible. He mentions all that He did for His people (the bride) to care for them. But, as mentioned throughout Ezekiel, Israel turned to idols. In this text, it is described as the bride "trust[ing] in [her] beauty" and going into prostitution, giving herself to false gods. Though for the bride, it is mentioned as beauty, we can understand that for Israel, their misstep was in trusting in themselves- their money, their power, their wisdom.

And this holds true for us. We're often tempted to trust in ourselves. It's no wonder that a widely non-God-fearing society would teach us this. But, somewhere deep down we must know that we cannot trust only in ourselves. And so we must also give all the credit for the care and gifts given to us to the Lord. This past week I was selected from my program to present my poster at the Interdisciplinary Program Community Meeting, where the president of the university gave one student from each program an award. I must tell you that I felt a little like Esther in the beauty competition. Surrounded by seniors who were presenting on their dissertations, I felt somewhat out of place as a 1st year student who hasn't published anything. But just as I was telling Brad that I was disappointed that President Shelton didn't see my poster, from the platform we heard him say, "I'm really looking forward to seeing the posters. I saw just a few on my way in here, and one of them caught my eye- 'How to Use an Adverb'." I can't help but believe that things like this are God. I mean, I'm really not good enough or smart enough or advanced enough to be getting these kinds of opportunities and awards... instead they're the gifts that He's given to me. And I'll keep trying to use them for His glory.


The Wiser Wisdom

13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15 Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. ~James 3:13-17

James is clear on this account, that there are different kinds of wisdom. The wisdom that Solomon admonished in Ecclesiastes would be the "bitter envy and selfish ambition" that James mentions. But we get a different idea of the "wisdom that comes from heaven." Clearly one difference is that this wisdom is not for our own personal gain. Instead, it brings forth good fruit. In other passages of scripture, 'fruit' is used to refer to the fruits of the spirit as well as bringing others to know the Lord as well as building up brothers and sisters in Christ. That is the kind of wisdom that really makes a difference... that is the kind of wisdom that is truly wise and truly worthwhile.

So this evening I pray for continued wisdom as we continue to work with the church start. It's difficult to step outside of a 'ready-made' congregation, knock on doors and invite people and have a church that's a little different. But someone, we still feel led to go and bear fruit. Lord, give us Your wisdom for Your church... so that we could continue to do Your work.... for Your glory.

No comments: