Saturday, November 13, 2010

Looking Back & Looking Forward

Though we oftentimes think of looking back (remembering) and looking forward (hoping) as essentially different, this morning's scripture reading reminded me of the important bridge that can be made between the two. For by remembering God's faithfulness in the past, we can overcome the trials of the present and look towards the hope we have in the future God has in store for us.


Looking Back

7 In the days of her affliction and wandering
Jerusalem remembers all the treasures
that were hers in days of old.

When her people fell into enemy hands,
there was no one to help her.
Her enemies looked at her
and laughed at her destruction. (Lamentations 1:7)

Lately I've had a little health trouble of my own, one that pales in comparison to many, I know, especially to the problems suffered by Jerusalem in the times Lamentations was accounting. But nevertheless, my bouts of nausea and reflux have left me giving up my goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon since I had severe reflux when running. The sleepless nights of reflux symptoms certainly make me feel sometimes like I am 'wandering' and just trying to get through the day with the little energy I have. And like Jerusalem, I remember my days of old- when I could run, when I felt more like myself, when I was able to eat without so many restrictions.

And yet, this remembering doesn't have to stay in the realm of nostalgia. Instead, remembering what God has brought me through reminds me that He is watching over me. When I was sick before, the Lord helped me. He has already given me a wonderful husband to help me with so much, so very humbling, which is often so very hard. There is a Spanish hymn that says, "God did not bring me here for me to turn around and go back." No, I have faith that God is directing my paths, wherever they may lead... and I'll keep following Him.... praising Him for the many treasures He's given to me and the many that He will give me in the future.


Looking Forward

1 The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. 2 Otherwise, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. 3 But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins. 4 It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. (Hebrews 10:1-4)

Last night our GCF (Graduate Christian Fellowship) group had a Bible Study on Hebrews, and it was helpful to remember that this book was probably written to Jews who were 'on the fence' about this Christianity stuff. So, the author goes through many highly esteemed Jewish authorities in order to point out that though these were 'shadows of the good things that [were] coming', they were not the thing itself.

In fact, in a way that is how we should live our lives, remembering that though we have many wonderful treasures here on earth... this is not the end goal. Our home is heaven, and we are homeward bound. Looking back through history, we are reminded that Jesus came so that we might be able to look forward to a future with Him... paid for by His own blood... no longer the sacrifices of "bulls and goats [that cannot] take away sins".


Today, take some time to remember the good gifts the Lord has given to you- the greatest gift of His son Jesus but also the gifts of a beautiful child, a comfortable home, a loving husband/wife, a good joy, a cute puppy, a new lab position. Whatever it is, give thanks to the Lord! It is the season!

And remember these gifts will inspire us to thank God for the future blessings He will provide for us- help with a move, healing, and also the home He has prepared for us in heaven!

No comments: