Saturday, October 23, 2010

Family of Faith

I took a break from journaling during my Bible reading, but I realized that I really missed it. So I'm really going to try again to make time for it every day. I might just have to make myself into a night time devotion-er.

What I read today reminded me of the image of the family of faith that surrounds us and that we enter into as we confess our faith in Christ. We become Jesus' children and gain an adopted Father who guides us and leads us and fills us with His Spirit. And at the same time, we enter into a family in our church family... with responsibilities for all of each other, but also for our individual families.

Taken Care of By Our Family (Our Father)

4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,

5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew a]" style="font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 0.5em; ">[a] you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

6 "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."

7 But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.

9 Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant." (Jeremiah 1:4-10)

I have always found this scripture encouraging, because I often feel like Jeremiah. I am so small. I am just a child. How can I do something for the Lord? Something that will truly bring Him honor and glory and further His kingdom? Right now... it's especially strong. As Brad and I work with a new church start, it's so easy to get discouraged, to feel like nothing's happening, to wonder if we can ever really make a difference, grow a church, be His servants and bring more to Him. But, that's just it. We can't... but God can. "Apart from Him, we can do nothing."

Just as the Lord replies to Jeremiah, so it is with us. In recognizing that we are just children, unable to do anything on our own, we open ourselves to God... that He may work through us. And we trust that He will give us the words we need and He will send us to the people He knows need to hear about Him. Lord, I trust that You will lead us into conversations with those who need You, that it will be Your power that guides us, that You will grow the church and it may be Your power and strength working in us that allows more to know You.


Taking Care of Our Family

1Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer,a]" style="font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 0.5em; ">[a] he desires a noble task. 2Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. 5(If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?) 6He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. 7He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap.

8Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. 9They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. 10They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons...

you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. (1 Timothy 3:1-10)

Though some may use this passage as a measuring stick for who can be an overseer or a deacon, I view this passage differently. If you look at what is being repeated throughout this chapter, there is the theme of 'family'. In fact, verse 15 reminds how people 'ought to conduct themselves in God's household'. To me that makes a lot more sense, since (after all) everyone should be doing all of these things. There would be few to argue that a non-deacon shouldn't be "self-controlled, respectable", etc.

Instead, I see this chapter as reminding us how important it is not only to know the scriptures, to study the word, to be in church, etc. God also calls us to care for our family. Now that certainly means our earthly family... the child, the wife, the husband, the cousin, the brother, etc with whom God has blessed us. In fact, this might've been revolutionary when it was written. Judgments of who should be a deacon were probably decided based on who had best studied all of the ancient writings, who had enough memorized. (I imagine an intense comps exam with the ancient rabbis!) But I doubt they ever went into the applicants homes to look at the relationships there or asked if the deacon-to-be spent time with his kids, wife, parents. How did he treat them? Did he love and appreciate them? If we are not taking care of our family at home, how can we venture to take care of others outside of our home?

But additionally, it means those in the "household of God". Think of the Lord healing on the Sabbath and all that He did for so many people. He was taking care of His family. When we follow Jesus and live as He did, we study His words, but we also act as His hands and feet... looking at the world around us and serving our family- those in our own home, those with blood relations as well as those beyond our doorways.

Lord, show me how to serve all of Your children, all of my brothers and sisters. Show me the places where You would have me be Your hands and feet in the world.... taking care of this family of faith... with the strength You give me.

No comments: