Sunday, October 24, 2010

100% Effective Fitness Program

...rather, train yourself to be godly.

8For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. (1 Timothy 4:7-8)

There may be some of us who are looking forward to the holidays with the photos and people we will see, hoping to get in tip-top shape for that special holiday dress or party. And while it's find to have goals for fitness and health, God reminds us that there's a much more important training schedule. We are to be following a 100% effective fitness program that focuses not on our weight or muscle build, but on our our spiritual well-being... which has value for all things.

Though not explicitly stating so, I believe this scripture suggests: If you spend 1 hour running/biking/lifting/walking/doing yoga/at the gym a day, you should spend at least that much time in the word. It is that much more important. So let's begin the program with 3 steps...


Be It: Live By Example

11Command and teach these things. 12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. (1 Timothy 4: 11-12)

We've heard the ironic saying "Do as I say, not as I do." And we're also familiar with the saying "Actions speak louder than words." Both sayings underscore the importance of our 'doing' aligning with our 'saying.' If we are truly working on our spiritual selves, we should set an example in our entire life: what we say, how we live, how we love others, how we express our faith and how we live with pure thoughts and actions.

This week I saw such a beautiful example by many of my friends who lived out their faith. I was presenting a poster on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, and my friends came to visit me at my poster and hear about my latest research. It's a busy time in the semester, and everyone has a lot going on, but they made time on a Friday afternoon nonetheless (!) to come and visit me. As I told my friend Tova on Friday, their presence and encouragement "made me feel so loved." It meant so much to me - their actions said more than words could've said.


Read It: Know God's Word

13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. (1 Timothy 4:13)

We are also reminded to devote ourselves 'to the public reading of Scripture.' It's interesting that it's not just the reading of scripture, but the 'public' reading of scripture. There is something special about reading scripture together with others. That's why I so much value our time in Bible study together on Tuesday nights. We have time in which we are sharing about the Bible with one another. I'm always blessed by the insights the Holy Spirit provides through those in our Bible Study as we read through Esther.

In grad school, I read countless pages a week. Although I could count them, I often avoid it in order to get me through. While reading so much for my classes, I need to remember the most wonderful book... the book the Lord has given to me... the one I should turn to every day, the one I should devote myself to, for my spiritual fitness program.


Obey It: Use the Gifts God Has Given You

14Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you. (1 Timothy 4:14)

And with this verse, the image of 'the body' comes back to my mind. As members of the body of Christ, we each have gifts that God has given to us, and it is our responsibility to use that which God has given to us. Some are amazingly friendly and social. Others are wonderful servants and workers. Others are great listeners and provide encouragement. Others are wise and intelligent. We are all probably some mixture of these, but we probably have a few gifts that resonate with us. It's what people say to us, "You are so.... [hospitable, kind-hearted, generous, insightful, dedicated, musically talented]."

Whatever it is, there is a way to use that for the Lord, for our Christian family... to practice and use the gift the Lord has given us... an important part of our training.

No comments: