Saturday, April 17, 2010

Obedience & Humility

Obeying God's Answer in Humility

1 In the course of time, David inquired of the LORD. "Shall I go up to one of the towns of Judah?" he asked.
The LORD said, "Go up."
David asked, "Where shall I go?"
"To Hebron," the LORD answered.
2 So David went up there with his two wives, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail, the widow of Nabal of Carmel. 3 David also took the men who were with him, each with his family, and they settled in Hebron and its towns. 4 Then the men of Judah came to Hebron and there they anointed David king over the house of Judah.
When David was told that it was the men of Jabesh Gilead who had buried Saul, 5 he sent messengers to the men of Jabesh Gilead to say to them, "The LORD bless you for showing this kindness to Saul your master by burying him. 6 May the LORD now show you kindness and faithfulness, and I too will show you the same favor because you have done this. 7 Now then, be strong and brave, for Saul your master is dead, and the house of Judah has anointed me king over them." -2 Samuel: 1-7


Sometimes I admit, I just wish it were so simple as it appears here. David asked, God answered. And sometimes I think maybe it is. Maybe it's just harder for me to hear God's answer. Or maybe it's harder for me to heed God's answer. Whatever it is, it is important. And the one thing I've learned from all those respected pastors I've asked about a 'calling' is that ... if it's a calling, you won't be able to escape it. You can take the high road, or the low road, but somehow that's where you'll end up.

And in the end, it's comforting to see something similar happen in my own life. Though I took the job teaching at CB, I was quickly rerouted back to my original plan of doing BVS (Brethren Volunteer Service) for 2 years. And while I'd thought about the U of A for grad school, I waited a while before getting here. It's interesting to think about calling- is it something that you 'just know'? If you felt that you'd like to be somewhere or do something at a certain point, was it meant? Was it God?

Here I see a great obedience and humility in David. He was appointed to be king. He does not go boasting about it, and he seeks God for discernment.


Obeying God's Invitation in Humility

15When one of those at the table with him heard this, he said to Jesus, "Blessed is the man who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God."
16Jesus replied: "A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. 17At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.'

18"But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, 'I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.'

19"Another said, 'I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I'm on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.'

20"Still another said, 'I just got married, so I can't come.'

21"The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.'

22" 'Sir,' the servant said, 'what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.'

23"Then the master told his servant, 'Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full. 24I tell you, not one of those men who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.' " -Luke 14:15-23


And here, we see God's invitation. Some were haughty and proud and so caught up in their own lives, that they did not obey. They did not join the party. And here we also see a high price for those who were invited and didn't come. They won't get a taste. There's no turning back or changing your mind.

He called the humble, because the proud were too haughty to truly recognize the beauty and miraculous calling to be a part of this great banquet, this Kingdom of God, this amazing family.

No comments: