Tuesday, April 13, 2010

He Never Sleeps

He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. —Psalm 121:3

What are the reasons behind a sleepless night? Well, recently it has been allergies for me, since the pollen count around here has been up to 10. But, usually it boils down to worries about protection (safety and generally everything being 'ok') and provision (making the grade, making the budget, making the plan work out, solving the problem). But our Father is like my father, who would always sing me a song to lull me to sleep, when anxious. He'd calm my fears so that I wouldn't have a sleepless night. Now I have someone else to sing me a calming lullaby, but even if it's not a lullaby that we can audibly hear, reading the Bible, praying or singing a hymn remind us of our Father who spends sleepless nights so that we don't have to.

In Tri-County choir, I remember singing, "He watches over Israel, slumbers not nor sleeps." Sung softly and sweetly, it is perhaps one of the most pleasant lullabies I know, that reminds me of our Father who promises to protect and provide.


He Watches & Protects

15 While David was at Horesh in the Desert of Ziph, he learned that Saul had come out to take his life. 16 And Saul's son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God. 17 "Don't be afraid," he said. "My father Saul will not lay a hand on you. You will be king over Israel, and I will be second to you. Even my father Saul knows this." 18 The two of them made a covenant before the LORD. Then Jonathan went home, but David remained at Horesh. -1 Samuel 23:15-18

This is a hard verse for me to read this morning, not because it's difficult to take, but just difficult in the context of what's going on in my family. David is being chased by Saul and his armed men. Even reading through chapter 23 can make you feel a bit anxious about the situation. They're trying to elude him on the other side of the mountain, never knowing if he's just a step behind, how to get away. And Jonathan talks with David, telling him not to be afraid. Jonathan has the end in mind. He knows how the story will turn out and reminds David of this... you will be king! Saul won't harm you!

The reason this is so hard for me right now is that this verse provides protection. But right now one of my family members is being followed, as David was followed by Saul. I want to say to her- Don't be afraid. He won't harm you. You will be safe. Our God is watching over you. And I give her into His hands, praying daily for the protection that I know only God can give. I pray that God would protect her anxiety and protect her physically... knowing that God has the power to protect His little ones. And I trust that He will, because He knows this family, and I don't believe that God would give us more than we can bare.

Father, I know that You watch over us and never sleep. I pray that You care for Your precious daughter. Surround her with love and protection. Help to take the fear from her and disband the evil that chases these girls. Aid those who can help in believing and trusting and doing whatever they can to solve this situation, with Your aid and Your strong and mighty protecting arm, Lord. We've seen You do this for David, and I pray that You do this for my cousin.


He Watches & Provides

22Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[b]? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. - Luke 12:22-31


If it is not protection we worry about, it is often provision. Sometimes I wonder what our anxious minds must sound like on those sleepless nights.

"How am I going to pay that bill now that they 'downsized' my job?"
"What about that family vacation I promised the kids?"
"Will I be able to be a good father?"
"How will I ever finish this exam question on time?"
"Am I really cut out for a PhD program?"
"How are we going to have bible studies next year?"

Although this verse points out the material things- clothes, drink, food- I believe it can also relate to the non-material things that we need that are related to those. People often worry about work or money, which are related to those necessary material needs: food, water, clothing, shelter.

Sometimes I do worry too much. I admit that this is a weakness for me. I've been known to dream about "the verb give" or whatever paper I tend to be writing at the moment, sleeping very restlessly during finals. It's a wonder I get those papers written at all, on little and poor sleep. But somehow, the papers always get written, the bills always get paid. We always have far more than enough.

Somehow the mention of these simple necessities: food, water, clothing, remind me of how we have so very much more than what we need. Food, water, clothing is enough. We have enough. Praise the Lord for that. The rest, is just extra blessings, extra provisions from our heavenly Father.

Ever since I was around high school age, I've had a strong sense of the injustice that exists int the world, where we have more than enough... and so many do not even have these simple 3 basic needs. I ask God to use me and show me how I could help His provision meet those who need it. Because what I have is not my own, it's only gifts from the Father... which He means for all His children. Lord, let me be a good steward of Your blessings, and show me how I might be able to get Your blessings to all of Your children in need, to whom they rightly belong.

No comments: