Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Looking for God in All the Wrong Places

In Disobedience
1 Kings 13:1-14:31

"The old prophet cried out to the man of God from Judah, 'the Lord said you did not obey him! He said you did not do what the Lord your god commanded you. The Lord commanded you not to eat or drink anything in this place, but you came back and ate and drank. So your body will not be buried in your family grave." (1 Kings 13:21-22)

"But you are not like my servant David, who always obeyed my commands and followed me with all his heart. He did only what I said was right. But you have done more evil than anyone who ruled before you. YOu have quit following me and have made other gods and idols of metal." (1 Kings 14:8-9)

"The people of Judah did what the Lord said was wrong. Their sins made the Lord very angry, even more angry than he had been at their ancestors. The people built pillars and places to worship gods and Asherah idols on every high hill and under ever green tree." (1 Kings 14:22-23)

In just these few chapters of 1 Kings, there are depictions of at least 4 people/groups of people who disobeyed God in various ways. First, we have 'the man of God' from Judea who spoke against the altar at Bethel. Quite curious that he seems to play an important role but his name is never mentioned. An old prophet who meets him along the way invites him to eat at his home, lies to him in saying that he received the message from God, and then 'the man of God' is attacked by a lion on way home... so he was not buried at his home. This is disturbing on several accounts, but we must be careful to follow God's will... even when others would convince us otherwise.

Next, both King Jeroboam and King Rehoboam and the people under their rule turn to idol worship. They build places of worship to worship these 'gods,' and they disobey the Lord God. Like the simple-living Brethren before me, I'm always concerned when people seem to become too enthralled with the best equipment and facilities and remodeling. Sure, all of those things are nice, but then should not be our focus. After all, when does it say that God remodeled the Temple? No... he spent his time feeding the poor, healing the sick, and teaching. And most of the time, this was out in God's grand temple- his creation. I have always loved Camp Swatara's 'outdoor cathedral'- just what it sounds like. It is a small clearing that has simple benches, a plain podium from which to speak, but most importantly God's creation- the trees, the birds, the squirrels rustling in the leaves speak. Lord, remind me to look for you in my obedience to you, and in all that You have created, you are "in all" my God.

In People
Psalm 69:13-21

"Insults have broken my heart and left me weak. I looked for sympathy, but there was none; I found no one to comfort me. They put poison in my food and gave me vinegar to drink." (Psalm 69:20-21)

I've heard it said before, but Greg Lazakovitz mentioned (at YAC the other weekend) that we all have a God-shaped hole inside of us... theory by a Frenchman. I forget his name currently. But, when we get in trouble is when we try to fill that void with all sorts of things that aren't God: video games, alcohol, vanity, education, ambition, money, even people. And we will always come up empty. The New Testament talks about the importance of people- living with and loving "one another." In fact, I learned in a lovely message by Dana Cassell that "one another" is one word in Greek that is mentioned 52 times in the New Testament. Anyone who has lived in community knows it is hard, and an essential ingredient is first having our God-shaped hole filled ot the brim with the love (understanding and patience and kindness and forgiveness) that only comes from being rooted in God's love. God, help me to look for You for sympathy and comfort, because people are never as big as You.

In Idleness
John 12:20-50

"Those who love their lives will lose them, but those who hate their lives in this world will keep true life forever. Whoever serves me must follow me. Then my servant will be with me everywhere I am. My Father will honor anyone who serves me." (John 12:25-26)

This is a very familiar verse, one that's easy to recite but hard to actually live. The other day my mom was talking to me about all the perks of teaching- summers off, raising a family, and she said, "But if it isn't something that's rewarding for you, then it's no good." The problem isn't that it isn't reward, the problem is that it's not about what's rewarding for me. In fact, it's not about me at all. It's about the plans that God has for my life and where He's leading me next. I've had a crazy path since graduation from Juniata: CB high school Spanish teacher --> Millville 4th-5th bilingual ed --> subbing --> volunteering in Rio --> BVS (Gould Farm, Boston) --> BVS (Campo Limpo Pta., Sao Paulo, Brazil), BVS (Church World Service, Lancaster), BVS (Campo Limpo Pta, Sao Paulo, Brazil) --> U of A. Yes, it's been a crazy journey. Especially going from a $40,000 teaching job to a $60 a day no benefits teaching job to $60 a month with BVS. But as I lost the prestigious life that most people would chase after, I gained a more meaningful life... absolutely certain that I was following my Lord.

What I never noticed about this verse, though, is the second part. "Whoever serves me must follow me. Then my servant will be with me wherever I am." It doesn't not say what I often read, that God will be with his servants were they go. (I'm not suggesting that isn't also true, but outlining the sentiments expressed here.) This verse suggests the importance of following as being essential to our being where Christ is. While I do believe in an omnipresent God, it is interesting to thing of his calling as where He needs us, and our following Him as following wherever He is and where we are needed. Lord, show me where to look for Your purpose for my life. I trust that You will continue to lead me to whevere You are.

No comments: