Thursday, July 5, 2012

We Need Each Other to Be Who God Wants Us to Be

Today's reflection in Our Daily Bread started with the simple question, "Did you know that we need each other in order to be who God wants us to be?"  For most of us, the answer to this question would be 'yes'.  We've heard this before- something about parts of the body- but do we really 'know' this?  That is do we live in a way that this is true in our lives?

1 Corinthians 12:18-27 reminds us that we are all members of the body, and each part needs the other parts.  And I have to admit that just recently I have come to realize that this 'all' is more expansive than I thought.


18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Yes, once again, it was 5 week old Belle that taught me this lesson.  We tend to think of newborns as needing but not being needed.  But I remember a recent appointment with my midwife Sandy.  I was remarking how hard it had been to continue breastfeeding when I had a fever and was feeling so weak.  I said, "But she needs to eat."  Sandy responded, "Yes, she needs to eat.  But you also need her to nurse, to keep you from getting a bad infection."  In a very real, physical sense, I need this little baby to keep me healthy.  In addition, she's helping to contract my uterus.  Who could imagine that a 5-week old could have such important jobs related to keeping her mommy healthy?  And that's only the physical part of it.

Today when I heard that question, "Did you know that we need each other in order to be who God wants us to be?" struck me... because who God wants me to be right now has changed.  For the past 5 weeks, in addition to other things, God now wants me to be a good Christian mother... and yes, Belle would be absolutely an essential part of that.  God is teaching me greater patience and selflessness and love with every cry, tear, diaper, midnight wake-up, bathtime and almost smile from my little girl.  I need her to become who God wants me to be.

Who is it for you?  Perhaps there is someone small or unexpected that God has put in your life, someone that you need in order to become who God wants you to be.

No comments: