Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Spirit of the Old Testament

Today, once again, as I seek to understand the Holy Spirit, I feel that I have been missing something.

Surely, the Holy Spirit plays an important role in the New Testament, but what about the references to the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament?

25 “Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will now restore the fortunes of Jacob and will have compassion on all the people of Israel, and I will be zealous for my holy name. 26 They will forget their shame and all the unfaithfulness they showed toward me when they lived in safety in their land with no one to make them afraid. 27 When I have brought them back from the nations and have gathered them from the countries of their enemies, I will be proved holy through them in the sight of many nations. 28 Then they will know that I am the LORD their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind. 29 I will no longer hide my face from them, for I will pour out my Spirit on the people of Israel, declares the Sovereign LORD.” (Ezekiel 39:25-29)

This morning's readings in Ezekiel helped to remind me that God has worked through His Spirit in many ways, even before sending His son.

Scripture speaks of the Holy Spirit as working in creation:

“By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,
and all their hosts by the breath (spirit) of His mouth” (Psalm 33.6).

Empowering God's servants:

‘the Lord took some of the spirit that was upon him [Moses], and put it upon the seventy elders, and when the spirit rested upon them they prophesied’. (Numbers 11:25-26)

These are just a few from

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/bibleteaching/hsinot.html

But I do feel that if we miss this, we are misunderstanding God. God was not distant or absent throughout the whole Old Testament. He sent His Spirit to empower, strengthen, deliver, create, and protect. But now, that Spirit is sent to all of His children, who believe in Him.

However, perhaps understanding is not the hard part. We must be truly open to the Holy Spirit in order for that Spirit to make a true difference in our lives. We must call upon the spirit to search our hearts and change our thoughts, to cleanse us and lead us not in our own ways, but in God's way. We are continually called not to be self-seeking. In a world where that brings rewards, it is so very difficult to seek the interests of others (friends, family, brothers and sisters at church, neighbors, enemies) instead of our own interests.

So we need to pray continually...

Come upon me, Spirit of the living God. Melt all hardness of heart. See if there be any harm in me, and lead me in your way- forever. Use me for your own purposes wherever you are sending me now. Amen.


No comments: